Comedian Aziz Ansari has publicly responded to allegations of sexual impropriety detailed in a story published over the weekend, saying in a statement that his encounter with a woman “by all indications was completely consensual.”
In a piece published Saturday on babe.net, a 23-year-old photographer from Brooklyn described a date with the comic that allegedly ended with him forcefully kissing her in his apartment and repeatedly trying to have sex. She told the outlet that it was “painful” watching Ansari accept his Golden Globe last week while wearing a Time’s Up pin in support of combating sexual harassment and assault in the workplace.
“I believe that I was taken advantage of by Aziz,” the woman told babe.net. “I was not listened to and ignored. It was by far the worst experience with a man I’ve ever had.”
Ansari confirmed, via his statement, that he had met the woman at a September party, exchanged numbers and went on a date that ended with sexual activity.
“The next day, I got a text from her saying that although ‘it may have seemed okay,’ upon further reflection, she felt uncomfortable,” Ansari said. “It was true that everything did seem okay to me, so when I heard that it was not the case for her, I was surprised and concerned. I took her words to heart and responded privately after taking the time to process what she had said.”
He added: “I continue to support the movement that is happening in our culture. It is necessary and long overdue.”
The detailed story, which included the woman saying she tried to move away from Ansari and signaled “verbal and nonverbal cues,” also sparked a debate around consent and the mass reckoning on sexual misconduct.
(Excerpt) Read More in: The Washington Post