- Don’t expect to see Super Size Me 2 anytime soon (even though one of the film’s subjects would like you to).
- J.A. Bayona reveals why he dropped out of World War Z 2.
- Terry Crews says he won’t be in Expendables 4 due to threats from the film’s producer.
- Natalie Portman is down for a V for Vendetta sequel.
- Jessica Chastain and James McAvoy announce It Chapter 2 production.
- A new poster for The First Purge.
- The Sicario 2 director reveals why he didn’t consult with Sicario director Denis Villeneuve.
- Jon Kasdan confirms he’s writing Indiana Jones 5.
- Platinum Dunes insists they want to make more Friday the 13th films.
- Jumanji 3 will probably begin filming next year.
Super Size Me 2: Holy Chicken! was supposed to make its debut at the Sundance Film Festival this year. That changed after director Morgan Spurlock wrote a blog post addressing the #MeToo movement, in which he said he was “part of the problem.” “When I was in college, a girl who I hooked up with on a one night stand accused me of rape,” the director wrote. “Not outright. There were no charges or investigations, but she wrote about the instance in a short story writing class and called me by name. A female friend who was in the class told be about it afterwards….That’s not what happened!’ I told her. This wasn’t how I remembered it at all. In my mind, we’d been drinking all night and went back to my room. We began fooling around, she pushed me off, then we laid in the bed and talked and laughed some more, and then began fooling around again. We took off our clothes. She said she didn’t want to have sex, so we laid together, and talked, and kissed, and laughed, and then we started having sex.”
In the wake of this post, Spurlock resigned from his production company, Super Size Me 2 was pulled from Sundance, and YouTube announced they wouldn’t be releasing the film. It’s very likely we may never see it, but one of the film’s subjects would like to change that. Speaking with Business Insider, farmer Charles Morris, who is featured in the film, says:
“I’m going to be honest, I feel like I’ve been let down…I had 10 farmers come up to my house and we had a link to the movie and I showed it to them and everyone just loved it. They were so excited it was coming out. If it were me, I would call you up and say, ‘Hey, I screwed up.’ I would tell you what’s going to happen.”
Morris goes on to say: “We can mortgage everything we got and buy the rights…I want it to come out, and not for me but for every chicken farmer in America. It needs to be seen. This is not about Morgan Spurlock, this is about the industry and us farmers and how we’re being treated.” YouTube has yet to respond to Morris’ request.
Will we ever see World War Z 2? The film has been in development hell for years now, with directors coming and going. One such director was J.A. Bayona, the filmmaker behind Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. In a recent interview, Bayona explained why he left the film, and it essentially boils down to creative differences. Bayona wanted to take his time to make something good, and the studio was more interested in rushing something out:
“There was a moment where we were about to start production, and I wasn’t ready. I told them and I said, ‘Listen, I’m not the right guy for this. There’s probably another guy who’s able to take care of this in a way that the movie will not get affected,’ so I decided to step out of the project.”
After Bayona left, rumors surfaced that David Fincher was, surprisingly, going to direct. But as of now, the film remains unmade, and Fincher is currently working on Mindhunter season 2, while star Brad Pitt films Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
If The Expendables 4 happens, don’t expect to see Terry Crews make an appearance. Last year, Crews said Hollywood agent Adam Venit had sexually assaulted him at a party. Many praised Crews for coming forward and sharing his story, but some people in Hollywood were apparently not happy. One of those people, according to Crews, was Expendables producer Avi Lerner, who allegedly asked Crews to withdraw his sexual assault lawsuit. Such a request was the last straw for Crews, who decided then and there to not have anything else to do with Lerner’s films. Crews explained why to Deadline:
“No. Simply because this same producer is under his own … investigation…Abusers protect abusers — and this is one thing I had to decide, whether I was going to draw the line on. Am I going to be a part of this or am I gonna take a stand, and there are projects I had to turn down.”
Major kudos to Crews for taking a stand. Also: here’s an idea – stop making Expendables movies in general. They’re awful.